Redesigning the most popular Eikon App
I undertook and led the redesign of the most popular and heavily used app on the Eikon platform.
I started by analysing the current news websites and spotted the content areas. Along with the results of research, I put together a design recommendation in the form of wireframes for Sprint 0, and communicated it with the development team.
We compartmentalised the components and work was allocated accordingly.
Responsive Design
Discovery phase pointed towards a responsive design approach. This was a first for the platform so I spent time to explore the responsive design principles for this application considering the broader effects across all Eikon apps.
Before the Redesign
Before the redesign, the text showed poor legibility, hiding both text and content at small widths and stretching the text to an unreadable degree at lager ones.
After the Redesign
The Process - SCRUM
Myself, two developers, a visual designer and a SCRUM master, started working on the project. 

Competitor Analysis
While the Dev team was setting up the groundwork, I analysed the Information Architecture of well known news and tech sites; the placement of content, the menu types, responsiveness, even the placement of ads. Afterwards, I compared the findings with the design principles of the Eikon platform and came up with a few very high-level, initial concepts to communicate the direction
Requirements Gathering
Further, I gathered the team and business stakeholders to brainstorm and agree on the direction and the research team to give us insights of current user behaviour.

Wireframes
As the dev team was setting up the groundwork I had time before the first sprint to quickly design and iterate, what the main parts of the application would look like.

SCRUM and Planning Poker
After the wireframes were signed off, the team and I sat down and broke the elements into stories. This way, while the dev team was working on one element I would have the chance to detail the design of the next one.
Responsive Design
To help with planning and development the team and I sat together and analysed the design for every breakpoint. We agreed a maximum, minimum, and in between breakpoints depending on the Top News app's specific requirements.
The Result
After 6-8 months of work, we released the first stable version to our clients. After a while the user feedback started coming in, and the result was rewarding. All the feedback we received was overwhelmingly positive, and as a result, the fruit of our effort was featured in the Thomson Reuters major news screen

You may also like

Q-ote
2016
My Files
2016
No Excuse
2016
Ruby the Robot
2016
Work Permit Scanner
2014
J-oke
2015
Back to Top